The boys were pretty smitten with the ornament tonight (see below) because they think donkeys are pretty awesome. I'm not sure riding 70 miles on a donkey while pregnant is my idea of a good time (and man can I totally sympathize with Mary in my current state), but tonight's lesson was about doing the things we don't want to do with a good attitude. Boy do I struggle with this one. But we are called sometimes to do things we do not want to do. And we are called to do it cheerfully (or at least without too much grumbling).
So back to Mary and that donkey...she traveled to Bethlehem while pregnant on a donkey with a good attitude. Her story is a reminder that some things that are necessary are not fun or easy.
I asked the boys if they ever had to do things that they didn't like to do. They couldn't think of anything, but a "how about cleaning up the play room?" was really all it took to get the list rolling. We try to make those things "more fun" by incorporating the clean up song, or making the chore a game, but the truth is, Ted and I expect the boys to do those kinds of things--if not cheerfully--then at least without complaining. God expects the same from us.
One thing Miles definitely did not mind doing was hanging tonight's ornament.
11 days in, our Advent tree is looking pretty spectacular.
The boys drew pictures of things they thought Mary and Joseph might have seen along the way to Bethlehem. There were animals, and candy canes, and all sorts of sights. :)
~Miles' Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment