Friday, December 2, 2011

Tis the Season: Advent

I'm temporarily taking over the blog to write about a very special devotional time we are doing as a family for the first time this Christmas. My good friend, Leslie, put together an amazing group of women to coordinate this activity to prepare our kids' little hearts for the true meaning of Christmas- celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

We were each assigned a day to make 24 of the same ornmanet (I'm day 21, I know the suspense is killing you!). Then we all got together for a wonderful gathering and shared our 24 ornaments. We each came home with 24 different ornaments and this great devotional book:

A Meaningful Christmas.


This book has wonderful short lessons for each of the 24 days to do with your children. It has some great visual activities to do together too.

Leslie made us each these personalized buckets to put our ornaments and books in.

On the first day, Max was very excited. We spent time talking about Advent and about what Christmas is really about (don't get me wrong, they're super pumped about Santa, but we want to be intentional all the time, and especially during this time, about reminding our children about God's love for us and the wonderful gift of his Son, Jesus Christ). Advent is a wonderful time of hope and anticipation for the arrival of Jesus. To share some of that hope with you, I am going to try to blog about our lesson daily. I am already behind since we started yesterday, so without further ado...


ADVENT DEVOTIONAL DAY 1


Today's lesson (yesterday's lesson really) was about how God is the Alpha and Omega. We talked about how God is, and was, and ever will be. (I would love to show you the one-page devotional, but copyright infringement is a bad bad thing. I can (probably) figure out where you can purchase this wonderful book if you're interested!).


And THIS was our precious ornament for Day 1.


The boys are taking turns hanging the ornaments on our Advent tree. Miles got to go first.

I am very thankful for friends who are intentional about helping us work to raise Godly men. Each of the other 23 women helped me with that this month, and I am so thankful. I hope to get another group together next year so that 24 new people can share this experience with their children.


~Miles' Mommy

No comments: